Monday, December 1, 2008

The New York Times in skinny form

A service the gym I work at offers that I've always thought valuable is offering members the New York Times Digest, an eight-page summary of each day's New York Times newspaper delivered via e-mail or fax for copying and distribution.

The Digest is printed on regular notebook-sized paper and includes articles from news, sports, editorial, business and weather, as well as the famed crossword puzzle.

In researching the Digest a bit more, apparently it's a subscription service that 400 corporations world-wide subscribe to, including even the U.S. Navy.

It reminds me of an e-mail newsletter except all the articles are reprinted in full.

I think this would be a great candidate for delivering to mobile devices, as it's short but fairly complete and would be less cumbersome than a full newspaper in digital form.

If the website listed the subscription price, I would say as is it's a really useful service. But since I fear it's probably quite expensive, maybe regular people should stick to the e-mail version, which I can't even figure out whether the Times offers or not.

No comments: